Welcome to the Space Resources Program
Since the 1990s, Mines has been a leading institution for the study of space resources and in situ resource utilization (ISRU). It has also become a destination for space scientists and engineers, government agencies, aerospace companies, entrepreneurs, the mining and minerals industry, financial and legal experts, and policy makers to discuss all topics related to space resources.
In recent years, growing interest in ISRU by space agencies and the private sector has been driven by an awareness that further development of space travel will be enabled through extraction of materials and production of propellants in space for more affordable and flexible transportation, facilities construction, and life support. The broad topic of space resources brings together many fields in which Mines has a strong presence, including remote sensing, geomechanics, mining, materials/metallurgy, robotics/automation, advanced manufacturing, electrochemistry, solar and nuclear energy, and resource economics.
In this light, Mines has launched a first-of-its-kind in the world multi-disciplinary graduate program in Space Resources to offer a Post-Baccalaureate certificate and Master of Science and Ph.D. degrees for college graduates and professionals interested in this emerging arena. The program focuses on developing core knowledge and gaining design practices in systems for responsible exploration, extraction, and use of resources in the Solar System.
WHY CHOOSE SPACE RESOURCES AT MINES?
- Join the first program in the world focused on educating scientists, engineers, economists, entrepreneurs, and policy makers in the developing field of space resources
- Take advantage of Mines world-renowned expertise on terrestrial resources and energy systems and apply it beyond our planet
- Become a part of Mines long history of involvement in space resources studies and gain access to its unique facilities
- Learn the current scientific, technical, economic, policy, and legal aspects of this field from a multidisciplinary group of experts in academia, space agencies, and the private sector
- Gain design practice in In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) systems for exploration, mining, extraction, processing, manufacturing, and stewardship of space and planetary resources
- Earn a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate or Master of Science (non-thesis) degree fully online from anywhere around the world.
- Research opportunities are available through a Ph.D. degree